Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Second day in Ann Arbor

One extremely good thing about shopping in America is, they have sale every week. YES, EVERY WEEK. The culture here is this, buy newspapers on Sunday and collect all the sale advertisements (many chain stores can be found almost anywhere in this country, making it highly efficient) and then go to buy the on sale items. They are really generous with their slashings. There is no 10%, 20% discounts. Only 30% and above, and it can go up to 70%. Sometimes its 40% off and a sign next to it saying, "take another 50% off offer prices". And they are true to their word. ( Dont have to worry if its a fraud like in back home )

So I got a flip flop slipper at USD 3.49. (3.49 x 1.37 = SGD 4.78) AND ITS NOT MADE OUT OF PAPER, if that's what ur thinking. Sears had many good deals and I managed to find suitable clothes. Luckily, the size problem didn't affect me that much in here. Oh! And the shoes here, especially branded ones, are real cheap. New Balance, Reebok, Adidas shoes all cost from USD29.99 to USD59.99. ( $41 to $82 ), and their genuine.

For lunch, I just ate a quick hot-dog as I was catching a bus. I don't want to have to wait half an hour for the next one. Bus fares are relatively cheap. USD 1 per trip. If you had to change a bus, just ask for a transfer ticket when u board the first bus. So from any place point A to point B, it costs USD 1, instead of charging you every single time you get onto a bus.

Next stop is K-Mart. Its a one stop place for everything, like Giant. Just bigger. [ quite ironic ] The prices here are good as well. Its similar to K-mart and JCPenny, but the items on sale are not, so there is a point in visiting all of 'em.

Dinner was settled at an Italian restaurant, Zola. Food was very good. They gave bread as starters and I felt it was big enough to be my meal. For my entree, I had mignon steak with some sauce that had a little red wine in it. I took my father's advice that the steak wouldn't taste as good without the wine and turns out he was right. It did taste better with wine. Being quite exhausted from shopping, I went back to the hotel earlier than the few days before. I had to PACK all my shopping stuff into my luggage before I turn in as I'm leaving for Bloomington, Indianapolis.

No comments: