Sunday, July 13, 2008

Second day in Waterloo

Had breakfast in the hotel today. It was super good. The toast was good, the jam was delicious, the potatoes were the best! When I drank the apple juice I felt like I was munching on an apple!! Love it.

After breakfast we went to visit University Of Waterloo. My dad was meeting some people there. I got to go into one of their research labs and use the computer! But I was too lazy to blog. Sorry larx, maintaining a blog DOES require a lot of effort. I surfed the net to find places to go to. The students there recommended a park nearby, which I found out in the end was Waterloo Park. I've heard of it from a friend so was eager to go and check it out. The way there was simple. Just follow the railroad ( not the yellow brick road ).

We lunched at a korean-jap restaurant. Ate salmon again!! =) Just a nice and simple meal. After eating, I headed to Waterloo Park on my own. The air was really fresh and there were so many kinds of flowers on the way. Its strange why they call Singapore a garden city when I see so much more greenery here. Anyways, along the park was a mini-zoo. I was told that it did not contain any interesting animals so I gave it a miss the first time I passed it. Instead I came to Silver Lake at the end of the park. There were ducks, some owl-looking bird and swans. The swans werent afraid of people and came just right where I was standing at the edge of the lake. They obviously whined for food. I found some food-looking thing at the sides of the pool and fed it to them. It worked. Bad move though, they followed very closely behind me after that.

On the way back to the university, I again passed by the mini-zoo. Aware that I still had some time left, I decided to go in to have a look. It turns out they DID have something interesting. There was this albino peacock and peahen. When the peacock showed its tail feathers it was beautiful. Totally white, looks very clean. Heex. They had lamas, ponies, bambis (deer actually), pigs, guinea pigs, a giant tortoise, rabbits, chickens, goats and that's about it.

I went back to UW and off we went to Elora Gorge. We hiked there for half an hour and got loads of fresher fresh air and a cooling atmosphere. The rapids created reason for people to bring their round rubber tyres (not real car tyres of course) to float downstream. Camping here is really convenient. There are already "booths" (segregated by hedges) set up for people to set up their tents and even a bench for picnic including a fireplace for some. So cool.

After a bit of exercise, we ate dinner at a chinese restaurant called Lai Lai (brought over from Taiwan). The chinese food here reminds me of Singapore cos it was authentic and cooked with the exact same style as that of home. Only thing is, the portions are bigger than home and slightly oilier.

While on the way back to the hotel, we passed by a performance. Some uptown jazz festival thing. So cool! We dropped by for a while. Molly Johnson, apparent quite a well-known Jazz singer in Canada, was performing. Her voice was great. I would buy her album if I can find it in Singapore. The jazz music is just right for me, not too acid, not too heavy metal, just simple voice and accoustics. One interesting thing, the town people bring THEIR OWN CHAIRS to attend the "concert". We left at 10pm, ( we started watching at 9.00)

What a fruitful day. =)

No comments: